Thursday, October 26, 2006

REGARDING THE CPH

While I wait for my needles to arrive in the mail... they were supposed to be here yesterday grrr. Oh, well. Probably this afternoon when the mail arrives (15 hours from now). I should not complain since the priority mail shipping was free.

I have some photographs of the two started CPH's to share. Because I wasn't sure about knitting on circulars, I kept the original I'd started on the straight needles in case I changed my mind about the circulars.

Doesn't this look like a smiley face?


Comparison side-by-side


The original colorway on straights


The colorway on circulars


On the circulars, it's a bit more stripey than I wanted. The original colorway really strikes me. If I went with straights instead of circulars, when I knit the fronts the colorway will be even more gradual, which I think I'd really like. Hence...

I'm beginning to think I should set aside the fancy colorway yarn (for now) and either

  • knit up the first CPH on circulars but in a solid until I get the hang of it. If I rush this one and mess up the colorway, I'll be so sad. Or,

  • do the crazy thing I thought of earlier—knitting the back off of two similarly-wound balls and somehow joining/crossing them in the middle so the colorways match the fronts.


My thought was, start the row with Ball #1, knit to the center back, then pick up Ball #2, knit to the end of the row. Turn the work. Knit to the center back with ball #2, pick up Ball #1, knit to the end of the row. Repeat. To join the yarns, I'd use the technique for joining a new yarn (stick the needle in the stitch, drop the first working strand, pick up the second working strand, knit the stitch with that strand, carry on). It would weave them together as they go.

That, or do it entirely in the round with steeks—but steeks are a horse of a different color and I don't want to make this too complicated! (Steeks, as I understand it, involve cutting down the center front upon completion. Sorry, but that terrifies me! I know others do it without consequence, but I have enough going on with this one to worry about that.)

More progress, this time for Socktoberfest. Another sock is born! I call this one Tyler Sox because the colors on the skein reminded me of one of my cat herd.

The Tyler Sox #1...


...and the cat who inspired the name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home