Wednesday, November 29, 2006

New Yarn

Finally, some knitworthy knews.

I went to my LYS today. Er, yesterday (it's 4:15 am). My sock blockers were in. It was supposed to be an innocent trip: buy the sock blockers, LOOK at some yarn, maybe pick up a book or two.

$260 later...

I'll post pictures in daylight.

What got me was curiosity. All these knitblogs I've been reading talk about and show off these absolutely gorgeous yarn with names like Koigu and Lorna's Laces. I finally decided I needed to see what all the fuss was about because, dear readers, I was a Koigu virgin.

Yep, you read that right.

Being a sock fanatic, I browsed the sock yarn for quite some time. What came home with me was:

  • 3 skeins Mountain Colors Bearfoot

  • 1 skein Mountain Colors Weavers Quarters

  • 2 skeins Lorna's Laces Sheperds Socks

  • EZ's Knitting Without Tears

  • EZ's Knitting Around

  • Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes & Gauges

  • 1 pair of sock blockers

  • 1 set of Crystal Palace size 1.5 DPNs (oh, like I needed another set of DPNs)

  • 4 Mountain Colors Sock Patterns

  • 1 tote bag (free with every purchase over $100)

  • and finally, 2 Mystery Gift Bags (free with every $100 purchase)


Did I mention the painful cramp in my check-writing hand? Ouch.

The Mystery Gifts contained samples of yarn. #1 was three skeinlets of something sparkly and green. The brand is a logo I don't recognize so I've no idea what it is. When I post pix, maybe someone can enlighten me. #2 contained two balls of Trendsetter novelty yarn that's cool enough that I think I can get a skinny scarf out of it (free Xmas gift, yay).

My kindly LYS proprietor also quoted me the price for the loom I'm interested in. It's less expensive to buy it unassembled (as a "kit") and sand, oil and assemble yourself. I'm up for the challenge. LYS guy offered to discount the Studio Kit, and said shipping is on schedule, so if I order now, I'll be weaving on Christmas Day. Well... gee. How can I possibly say no to that?

The only thing standing between me and my loom is...

...uh...

Help me out here. I can't seem to come up with a good enough reason NOT to buy it! :-) Since I want to build a portfolio this year to try to get into grad school in 2008... as a fibers major... and I can afford it (for the most part)... and I've always wanted a real floor loom of my own... and... uh...

Anybody?

3 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, November 29, 2006, Blogger tiennieknits said...

Awesome haul! You're going to have some fun. Don't look to me to stop you - I'm a bad enabler!

 
At 8:33 PM, November 29, 2006, Blogger Laura said...

holy guacamole! you came home with some awesome stuff! i have to ask, where is this LYS? i mean, bowling green is quite a ways from me, but i would consider driving a couple of hours or so for a selection of mountain colors bearfoot. :)

 
At 1:27 AM, November 30, 2006, Blogger Jeanne said...

Great, just what I need—enablers! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home