Friday, December 08, 2006

How-To Ornaments and Update

Ornaments
A reader has requested instructions for the yarn ornaments. They are not my design and I'm not sure where to give credit. I got the idea from Split Yarn's blog, who got the idea from For the Love of Fiber's blog.

But it's a simple process. Buy some clear glass ornaments from a craft store (ie Michael's, JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, etc.), raid your yarn stash for the most hideous, funky, sparkly yarn imaginable (the uglier the better because it makes a prettier ornament) or buy some, take the top off the ornament, stuff yarn into the ornament, replace the top and voila—instant, inexpensive glamour.

It doesn't take much yarn. A small ball of Bernat Boa, for example, goes a looooooooooooooooong way—I used a lot of this for mine because the multiple colors, shine, and featheriness really worked wonders. I also found that it helped to use the non-hook end of a fat crochet hook (size P or close, whatever fit in the hole) to stuff the yarn down in there. The eraser end of a pencil would probably work just as well.

Xmas Update

Bored. Bored bored bored bored bored. I hope Allergic One loves the Celtic Knot Scarf (CKS) she's getting because it is driving me nuts. Now I know why I'm so attracted to cables, complex patterns, and weaving—because stockinette literally puts me to sleep. Without the challenges of an intricate Aran, or the irritation of figuring out why my eyelet isn't working, I become bored.

I wish the pattern had come with a photo because you won't be able to see the coolness of it until I'm finished (it's an original pattern published by the yarn store's "house brand"). The CKS gives the impression that it is a highly complex piece because of the design detail—a scarf that is overlapped and permanently joined by a 5-inch woven I-cord "celtic knot".

But looks are deceiving. Even I was fooled into thinking it was a wicked cabling maneuver, when it's really a stretch of stockinette, five I-cord fingers, rejoin across and go back to stockinette for a longer stretch, five more I-cord fingers, weave the second set of fingers through the first set of fingers, rejoin across and finish the scarf. It's ingenious in my opinion ("oh you must have slaved over that for months..." ah, those non-knitters, they'll never know). The end result will be amazing. Getting there, however, involves about 50 or so inches of stockinette bordered with a three-stitch garter on either side.

Amazing to look at. YAWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN to knit. No offense to the designer; I love the design of the scarf, but I enjoy knitting more complex things.

This afternoon I was sitting on the couch working on the expanse between Finger Set #1 and Finger Set #2, and I nodded off. Needles in hand, right in the middle of a stitch, sitting upright.

Snnnrrrrrgggxxxxxx....

Uh, yeah. I think I'll make this one an "in front of the TV or while chatting with friends" project and go back to my Double EyePain Socks for awhile until the drowsiness wear off.

Note to self: avoid any suggestion of "Quick n Easy Christmas Project". Stick to what you know and love (complexity) even if it means starting Christmas 2009 this year.

5 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, December 08, 2006, Blogger Stick said...

Hey! I linked to your blog today b/c of the ornaments. Thanks for posting more info! I saw that you like Aran stuff. I love it, but haven't attempted any yet. I just ordered the Great American Aran Afghan Book and want to start making it soon! I can't wait! Have you made a lot of aran things?

 
At 12:53 AM, December 09, 2006, Blogger Jeanne said...

Hey, cool, thanks for linking to me! I linked you yesterday because of the cats. (Named him yet?) Are you on the CPH KAL? You're welcome for the info. Arans: well, I've done a couple of baby sweater/hat/booties sets but not a proper adult Aran (yet). But since I have a cable fetish, I'm sure I'll love doing Aran. What will your first project be?

 
At 2:43 AM, December 09, 2006, Blogger tiennieknits said...

Those are great ornaments but I don't know if I'll ever do any Christmas knitting on purpose.

 
At 10:52 PM, December 09, 2006, Blogger Carrie K said...

And what's more boring to knit than stockinette? I-cord! But the scarf itself sounds really pretty.

 
At 11:46 PM, December 09, 2006, Blogger Jeanne said...

Yes indeedy, but its one saving grace is that it's only five stitches versus , say, 249. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home