Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Xmas Update

Tiennie wondered on her blog about the progress of the brave last-minute Christmas knitters. Well, let's see. My Christmas knitting... today I finished one half of Fetching for a friend (who does not read blogs). Her hands are narrower than mine, with long, slender, elegant fingers (I'm envious). I'd knit my own Fetchings on a size larger than recommended by the pattern, and they fit. So I dropped down one size for hers. Nope. They fit me... only better. SO, since this was done in Acryl-ick yarn (I know, but it was pretty acrylic and I'm trying to limit my contribution to the crass commercialization of Christmas by not buying new yarn, being economical and just using yarn in my enormous stash), and since I'm (obviously) starting over, I'm off to the LYS tomorrow for NICE yarn for them. *ahem* Lesson learned. Gauge swatches be damned--I haven't gotten the hang of establishing perfect gauge based on garment measurements yet. With me, it's more trial and error than anything else. LOL!

Thank God it only takes me a few hours to knit them up.

I successfully stuffed wads of yarn into 24 glass ornaments. Photos to come. I'm quite pleased with them. I experimented with stringing shiny beads on the yarn, but it took forever and I didn't like the look that much. I only did that to one ornament, and despite disappointment with the effect, it's staying that way (not gonna frog the ball).

When is my darned swift going to arrive? I need it! Yes, I broke down and ordered one. JoAnn's. The bigger one. On sale. Plus 50% off. So it was cheaper than the sale price. Before I can start the family socks, the Mountain Colors Crazy Woman and Gold Rush need to be caked. (Is that the proper terminology?) I'm also waiting impatiently for yet another knitting book to arrive (Harmony Guide to Aran & Fair Isle). Guess the hanks are going for ride tomorrow up to the LYS with me.

Is anyone in blogland aware of a University that has graduate programs in Fibers/Textiles (as Art, as in weaving/surface design) AND Fashion Design/Apparel Design? I'm looking for MFAs and PhDs and I'm just tired of Googling. Maybe those of you in other geographic regions are more familiar with your local college's offerings.

OK, that's enough for tonight.

3 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, December 06, 2006, Blogger tiennieknits said...

You are a much nicer person than me making presents for others! You deserve a yarn swift for that!

 
At 6:11 PM, December 06, 2006, Blogger Jeanne said...

:-D

 
At 4:39 PM, December 07, 2006, Blogger Stick said...

I think SCAD has those programs, but not sure... Savannah College of Art and Design. I know of them only because they sponsor my events. But seems to me I heard they have Textile programs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home