Sunday, December 31, 2006

Year-End Wrap Up

I'm about to get ready for an evening out with a friend, so this will be brief. But I had to make my last post of the year before 2006 aka The Most Horrible Year of My Life aka Two Thousand SUCKS finally breathes its last, painful gasp.

Finished Objects 2006:
Fetchings
Socks
Baby sweaters
Hats
Scarves
(tally to come)

Major Life Changes:
  • Dropped my college classes (due to Dad's health)
  • Cancelled my 6-week Parelli Natural Horsemanship course in Ocala (see above)
  • Moved out of my house/back in with parents (due to both of their ill health statuses)
  • Acquired baby grand niece #2
  • Lost both parents four months apart
  • Inherited two houses, tons of antiques, and a big chunk of cash (all split with my sister)
  • Inherited a newer car (not split)
  • Gained 10 pounds, lost 25, then gained 7 back (which will be lost again along with 25 more if I have my way)
  • Rediscovered knitting and my dormant fiber obsession
  • Bought a floor loom
  • Registered for spring classes for 2007
  • Decided to seriously pursue my fiber arts goals

Resolutions for 2007:
  1. Be more authentic (to be explained in a later post)
  2. Be on time
  3. Be organized
  4. Keep the house clean
  5. Be healthy and in shape
  6. Make promises to people ONLY if I really intend to keep them
  7. Be honest with myself about what I can/cannot get done, and what I want to do/don't want to do (stop trying to please everybody, darn it!)
  8. Get a handle on my spending and learn to make and stick to a b-u-d-g-e-t
  9. Use 2007 to:
  • build my fiber arts portfolio
  • learn to spin
  • learn steeking, entrelac and fair isle
  • complete the TKGA Level One Master Hand Knitter Program
  • study for/take/score high on the GRE
  • prepare to apply to graduate school for Fall 2008*
  1. Knit every day
  2. Keep an ongoing journal of FOs and WIPs active on my blog
  3. Participate in more KALs (maybe even host a few)
  4. Spend more time playing with/riding my horses
  5. Pass the Parelli Level Two Assessment
  6. Have a more active social life with knitters and non-knitters
  7. Learn to be happy in my new, parentless life
May we all have a safe, happy, festive New Year's Eve, and may we all aspire to and be blessed with health, happiness, and better times in the year to come.

*Yes, Fall 2008 is quite a ways off, but I can't make 2007's deadlines because my portfolio is 12 years out of date and it'll take a few months at least to update it. If there were no portfolio involved, I could make it. However, since I'm applying to the art department of the colleges I'm interested in attending, and they expect to see a portfolio of recent work in my area of concentration, I'm a bit obligated. If it's not obvious by now, I'm going for an MFA in Fibers.

Yep. If my late parents are correct, I'll soon be qualified to teach at the college level IF there are any jobs available and IF I can even get one; open a yarn store; or be a manager at ___________ (insert retail megachain/fast food brand name here).

4 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, December 31, 2006, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

You had a tough year. I'm glad to hear that you've come out of it with new goals and the strength to see them through. Happiest of New Years to you. May the yarn be the non-splitting kind and the loom self-warping! ;)

 
At 2:35 AM, January 01, 2007, Blogger tiennieknits said...

This is going to be your year - b/c you deserve it dang it! Happy New Year!!!

 
At 11:32 AM, January 01, 2007, Blogger Mintyfresh said...

oh my, 200Suck is very apt for your 2006. I'm so sorry for all of your loss. I think a lot of us are hoping for positive, healthy, happy 2007s. Perhaps if enough of us demand it of the universe, it will happen! Happy new year.

 
At 9:49 PM, January 09, 2007, Blogger Stick said...

I'll help you with your Fiber-y Fun!!! and passing tests and such! YAY! You can do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home