Friday, January 19, 2007

Cool Teacher!

Just a quickie: today in my Entrepreneurship class we had to bring in homemade IDs (mentioned in the last post). I did indeed knit mine. From my stash. It'll be a scarf when I'm through and I'll post a photo later, but I started a scarf, then crocheted a long chain and sort of attached the chain for the letters in my name. Then I tied a string around the ends of the knitting needle and wore it around my neck, still attached to the skeins (in the bag hiding in my backpack on the floor).

I was a bit surprised. Only me and one other person did anything original. Everyone else copped out and scrawled theirs on a piece of notebook paper. This is a course on Creativity and Innovation, people! Geez.

Anyway, the instructor loved it. Then she said the thing that makes her the Coolest Professor I've Had So Far. She mentioned a former student whom she said was "brilliant" but that you might not think she was listening because she'd sit in class and doodle all over her page the whole time. But it helped distract one side of her brain so the other side could concentrate better on the lessons. Then she said "if any of you have something you do that helps you listen better, as long as you're really listening, go ahead and do it. You can knit in class if it helps you focus."

I have permission to knit in class!!!!!

But, I'm one of those rabid note-takers, darn it! So I probably won't. But, it's just so cool that she said that. I thought to myself, how different would I have turned out… if my elementary school teachers had realized this very thing? That when I was seemingly daydreaming and off in another world drawing a notebook full of horse pictures, I was actually intently focused on listening and absorbing my lessons, not ignoring the teacher. Which is what I always got in trouble for doing. I was a straight-A student! How could they have thought I wasn't paying attention?

Anyway… the point of this whole post is,

I have permission to knit in class!!!!! How cool is that?!?



Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, January 19, 2007, Blogger Stick said...

That is SO COOL!!! Try it someday, just to see if it helps you relax and just think about what she's saying instead of focusing on making sure you write down everything she says! W'HOOO!!

 
At 7:13 PM, January 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool - but I'm like you - I must take notes! Glad I'm not in school anymore!

 
At 11:23 PM, January 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very cool! And that's exactly how I am. If I'm not knitting or doodling, trust me, I'm off in another world and I have no idea what's going on. I just look like I do.

And very crafty and clever of you to knit the ID.

 
At 12:34 AM, January 21, 2007, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

I sorta just went ahead and knit in my new class and hoped for the best...thankfully it was an OK thing to do. If I didn't have the knitting I fear I would be asleep by the end of the first hour.

Love, love, love the cool teachers!!!!!!! (even when I hate their classes... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home