Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A Little Stash Support, Please

OK. Here's the deal. I committed to Knit From Your Stash 2007, meaning no unnecessary yarn purchases until September. I'm allowed to buy enough to complete a project if I run out.

Well, I ran out. Somehow I miscalculated the amount needed. I was soooo close to getting away clean.

I bought one luscious ball of RY Classic Silk Wool DK in 307 Velvet (purple) to make Fetching for my friend for Christmas. RY Silk Wook DK is 109 yards to a 50 g ball. Should have been enough, right, since the pattern calls for 98 yards? My hands are smallish, but Friend has long, very thin, very elegant hands that make mine look like meat mitts. My own Fetchings were done on size 6's in worsted weight cheapo yarn and they are roomy. I dropped down to 4's to make hers a good 1.5 inches smaller. They measure perfectly for her hands.

I added one additional section of cabling at the wrist for length. I made it all the way to the last cable row on Fetching #2 of the set when I ran out of yarn. There is an 8-inch tail and that's all.

The problem? I don't want to rip back and try to squeeze it out of one ball. That means a trip to the LYS tomorrow for the second skein. That means exposing myself to temptation only three days into the new year and my KFYS commitment.

I'm scared. I absolutely must come out of there with only the yarn for her project and mental notes about how to properly fold my new loom (the instructions for that part aren't helpful, I need diagrams). (If my Crystal Palace size 6 DPNs have arrived that have been on order since November, I can buy them, too, but that's it.) Give me strength, everyone. Tomorrow, I face the enemy head on. Will I be victorious?

3 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, January 03, 2007, Blogger Mother of Chaos said...

You will be victorious. You shall vanquish temptation. You shall emerge from battle with the yarn you need, and only the yarn you need.

So it has been spoken. So shall it be.

 
At 2:36 PM, January 03, 2007, Blogger tiennieknits said...

That's why I won't commit to Knit from Stash! I must buy yarn, mmm...yarn...

 
At 6:37 PM, January 03, 2007, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

You can do it!!! Think positive and strong thoughts.

And, if all else fails, buy sock yarn. I think that was considered an exception...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home