Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Exhausted

Oh, I really underestimated this endeavor.

The size of the (very small) truck outlasted the size of our energy levels and enthusiasm. We packed and loaded and crammed that puppy to the gills. This sucker holds four rooms' worth of furniture.

There was still stuff left at the house.

I hauled four rooms' worth of boxed up crap back to my house and there is STILL stuff left to bring home later.

Where in Almighty Heck did all this stuff COME FROM?!? No way I could move into a studio apartment now.

The remaining stuff is smaller, though. It can be easily transported via the car (if I make several trips). It doesn't necessitate renting a mammoth for the day.

I'm upset about one thing, though. After dismantling the computer, then disassembling for what will probably be the last time the poor old computer desk I was using (particle board DIY that has been moved to at least four homes, has moved within those homes, first to second floor, vice versa) to make room for the lovely newer corner workstation I bought a couple of years ago, I had a grave disappointment.

The newer one lived upstairs at my old house. I looked long and hard to find one that would hold all my equipment satisfactorily and allow me room for scribbling. I have a scanner, printer, tower, monitor, keyboard, and a Wacom tablet. That means I need space. I was overjoyed to find this one and waited patiently for it to go on sale. I think I got a year's worth of use out of it. Then I had to move. But it would not quite fit in my bedroom with my bed in there. So it was partially disassembled and put into storage and I used the smaller, older one.

Apparently particle board made in 2005 doesn't hold up as well as particle board made in 1997 because it broke. (Maybe it's the difference between good Sauder and off-brands.) The wood gave way in the move. Of course, it's the base of the thing which the corners branch off of, and the part where the very expensive tower portion of my Mac would reside. We tilted it and it collapsed like it was made of butter and fur.

Mad.

Mad, mad, mad.

My friend thinks it may be salvageable with L-brackets and/or wood glue, but I don't know. I nosed around online, and cannot find anything that looks like it would work as well as the broken one, or looks as stylish.

I am so mad.

The OTHER desk survived all the moves really well, and it was disassembled, moved and reassembled several times. Why did IT survive, while my beautiful *snif* wonderful *sob* spacious newer one not?

Tomorrow I'll look at a few desks and see if anything strikes me; if not, off to Home Dep*t we go for L-brackets. You probably wonder, well, what is she typing on, then?

Tsheh.

I plugged in only the monitor, modem and tower (bare minimum). The monitor and keyboard are sitting temporarily on a UTILITY CART. *sigh*

Well, I guess I did say I wanted to purge and downsize...


Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, June 05, 2007, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

I have only ever owned laptops. No computer desk to worry about. Of course, the cats tend to sleep on it all the time and that has led to one or two "issues..."

 
At 5:47 PM, June 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a pain! Hopefully it's salvageable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home