Friday, June 08, 2007

Is Your Cat Suffering from EDS?

Thank you for the heartfelt comments. It helps to hear from others who've been there, or who understand where my head is at.

Today we'll try to lighten it up a bit. The morning began with much excitement—I awoke to NO ELECTRICITY. Naturally, I panicked, thinking I must have missed paying the bill or something. I called the utility company before my first cup of coffee. That I sounded reasonably coherent was surprising. They said the entire southwest quadrant of my town was without power for unknown reasons and they were working on it.

Oh, phew.

I hung up the phone. My mind quickly worked through the options:
  • can't have warm coffee (no power for the nuker)
  • can't read blogs
  • can't watch TV
  • no A/C
  • can't cook breakfast
This was not good. Oh dear God, the food in the fridge—how long had the power been off? How long before we'd be up and running again? I resigned myself to having a cold cup of coffee and opened the door to the fridge to grab the milk. After retrieving the milk, I quickly shut the door. A noise startled me—several in succession, actually. The fridge hummed, the light over the stove went on, and the answering machine beeped.

We had power.

I was without power for a whole two minutes of my morning. You know I had to go around flicking on light switches myself just to make sure.

OK. Next?

Torrential downpours all afternoon with a particularly dramatic thunderstorm that I actually enjoyed listening to. The echo and delay on the booms was fascinating. I suppose it was directly above us.

Now, why do I say "us"? My parents are gone, it's just me and five cats. Either I'm including my ghostly parents, or the cats make "me" an "us".

Anyway.

The cats were far less appreciative of the drama ensuing outside than I was and complained bitterly. Well, the visible ones, anyway. The others were wedged somewhere all afternoon.

After the storm passed and the sun returned, Zander, the Big Z, loudly informed me that he was suffering from a severe case of EDS* and wanted me to fix it right away. I did. It's a terrible thing when a cat is forced to live with EDS, when the solution is so simple.

Knitting news:
My hands hurt. Knitting is not fun today (nor is typing). I'm confused, because according to the Weather Channel, the Aches & Pain index is zero today (3 tomorrow). But it feels like they've been through a meat grinder. Of course, mine only feel that way, unlike poor Parikha, who really did lose part of a thumb yesterday. It's in the joints. They sting. They ache, but they also sting. It's the weirdest thing. And they feel groggy. Granted, I did a lot of heavy lifting Monday, and a lot of computerizing on Tuesday, but not much Wednesday and Thursday. So, there hasn't been much knitting. I still have four pairs of sock UFOs on the needles, and sewing hasn't been possible due to the new box farm that sprung up in my room.

Um. Wow. I have so much to say today and nothing is that interesting. Called the desk company: my parts are on the way, my desk will soon be rebuilt, and they were the LAST set of parts in the factory for that desk. They are going out of business. So sad. Thank God I was able to get my parts before they closed forever.

I think I'd better end this post before y'all go to sleep on me.


*EDS = Empty Dish Syndrome

2 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, June 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA EDS! I love it. When EDS strikes our house, I get struck in the face. with paws. uh huh.

 
At 1:28 AM, June 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 whole minutes!!!! How did you survive?! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home