Sunday, June 24, 2007

Take ME Out to the Ball Game...

Tonight I did something I never do. I went to a minor league ball game. B has season tickets, 10 rows up, behind home plate. I said, sure, what the heck, when she asked if I wanted to go.

Keep in mind, I find baseball to be tediously boring, second only to car races (I mean, come on, the Indy 500—500 laps of cars going around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around...). So why I said yes, I'll never know.

I almost bailed when I realized I'd committed to hours in a baseball stadium trapped in front of a game that bored me to tears. Honestly, I'd rather have water torture combined with having my fingernails pulled out. In self-defense, I packed my knitting.

So slap me silly. I actually had a good time (even without the benefit of five dollar beers). And the knitting stayed in the bag. Turns out it's kinda fun to sit amongst 10,000 enthusiastic fans, right behind the home plate, on a beautiful summer evening, watching a close game. I mean close. I know nothing about baseball except it involves bats, balls, and nine guys wearing knee socks, so bear with me—I know what a foul ball and a bunt is, but I couldn't tell you if it's offsides or out of line or what. First it was 1-1. Then it was 3-1, home. Then, it was 3-3 right at the end. We thought it would be a tie game. Then right at the very last minute, the batter who'd made it to the majors the year before (but was traded down this year), the guy who had become known for hitting them hard and out to the right (foul), actually hit a home run.

5-1. Home team. Very cool. Our team is tied for first in some big minor league thingiemadoodle, which means they may play the Governor's Cup for an unprecedented third time.

I think I might want to go again.

Besides, that Jack Hannahan is a cutie.

2 Comments:

At 1:53 AM, June 24, 2007, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

I don't do well at sporting events. I'm good for the first half hour then I start to get bored and make up stories about the fans, the players, security...anyone who catches my eye. Then I clean my purse. Then I eat six hot dogs. Then I berate myself for twenty minutes for eating so many hot dogs. Then I spend a great deal of time asking everyone what I missed...

Glad you had fun. It's always good when there's a cute guy in knee socks on the field!

 
At 7:40 PM, June 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love baseball and you've discovered a great thing about it - cute players in tight pants!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home