Saturday, July 07, 2007

Elizabethtown

Elizabethtown was on Showtime tonight. WOW. What a great movie. I'm sure I liked it partially because I can really relate to Drew having everything that he counted on in life just implode upon itself and having to choose whether to pick up the pieces or throw in the towel.

Wonderful movie. I think I want to see it again. No, it has little to do with Orlando Bloom. He's not hard on the eyes, but I wasn't gawking at the eye candy, I was totally wrapped up in the feel of the movie and the storyline. Singer Patty Griffin has a cameo and Loudon Wainwright II is in it. I was floored when, during one of the scenes close to the end, I heard the beginnings of Moon River—my Mother's favorite song, the one we played as her casket left the church. The correlation between the movie characters and my life met at that moment, crashed in mid-air.

I think I need to do what was suggested to one of the characters in the movie: take a solitary cross-country road trip, just me and the right music, and "get into the deep beautiful melancholy of everything that's happened". By far, my new favorite quote is:

If it wasn't this... it'd be something else.

If you haven't seen it yet, go rent it. It's a well-written, extraordinarily-acted, poignant, funny, enlightening, feel-good life lesson movie written and directed by Cameron Crowe (who, as I just found out, also wrote and/or directed several of my all-time faves, including "Almost Famous" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"). The soundtrack, of course, is amazing.


Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, July 07, 2007, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Haven't seen that one. I may need to add it to my summer reading/watching list!

 
At 11:09 AM, July 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't seen it. That is a fabulous quote. So true!

 
At 9:41 AM, July 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that one's on my queue on Blockbuster!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home