Saturday, July 14, 2007

Grilled

The burns are better. Yes, I can knit. The worst of it is an ugly hard white blister at the base of my middle finger and a rough spot below that, but otherwise the rest of the burns are greatly improved and really don't hurt today. I can't get over how weird the skin there feels, though. When I open my hand, the burned areas feel tight and stretched. Strange.

Not much went on around here today. I drove down to the gallery to pick up my piece from the Spring Show, a good hour's drive down then another hour back. The gallery owner showed me an old loom that someone had donated—it's in pieces, and it looks fairly old, but for one missing treadle I think all the parts are there. He said the person who donated it claimed it cost $9,000 originally. Looms are rather expensive, when new or when used but in good condition, but I think that was long ago and far away for this loom.

The gallery owner wants to sell it to whomever will make an offer because nobody at the gallery has any idea how to use it, let alone put it back together. Somehow I managed to leave with my pocketbook intact. Having a car that is too small to hold it helps, too. But it was interesting. I only looked at it briefly but didn't find a brand name. Some of the structural parts are metal but the rest is wood and it looks solid.

I'm half-tempted to make a low-ball offer and bring it home and see what it might be. It could always be auctioned off on eBay. Except I think he thinks he can get some "real money" for it, and honestly? It's in pieces. It has a treadle missing (unless it was in one of the boxes of parts). It may not be repairable. I'd give him $50 for it to take it off his hands. If he wants more, he'll have to find someone to reassemble it and see if it's salvageable.

Hmm. I wonder if he'd take fifty for it?

Like I have room. Or time.

I had a hankering for grilled burgers when I got home and since the store FINALLY restocked the Black N Blue burgers last week, I decided to try my hand at it. I'm proud to announce my virgin foray into the world of grilling was successful. It took three tries before I got the thing lit properly—it kept going out and cooling off so I added more lighter fluid (I know, I know, I was careful) and relit it and on the third try I think I overdid the lighter fluid because it caught, and the flames were a tad higher than I was comfortable with, but they eased off and finally, I had a grill going.

Though I was considering the green bean casserole in honor of Crazy Aunt Purl's cat Roy, the call of the grill was too loud. The casserole will have to wait. Instead, I had a Corona for Laurie and a yummy BnB burger with grilled onions, green & red pepper strips, and grilled corn on the cob.

I'm so proud of myself. Hey, Dad, I did it. I grilled burgers on your grill. All by myself.


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, July 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a Corona last night too! YAY US!!!

 
At 10:26 AM, July 14, 2007, Blogger becky c. said...

After the last blog post, it will be a long time before you tell us about grilling or lighter fluid and I'm not wincing! :) Glad all is well.

 
At 12:50 PM, July 14, 2007, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Oh man...now I want a burger in the worst possible way! Mmmmmmm...

The loom sounds interesting. But it also sounds like the gallery owner is going to be looking for high numbers on this one. I suspect that it isn't going to fetch what he's hoping for, though. Should be interesting to see what happens with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home