Sunday, January 06, 2008

Deer Me

Duh. I forgot to post the MOST EXCITING THING(S)!

  1. Franklin is venturing into my radius! I might finally get to meet The Panopticon!

  2. Might not be nearly as exciting as Franklin, but Friday night around 3 AM I dislodged myself from the couch and cats to get a drink. This neighborhood is so safe that one can leave one's drapes open because nobody looks in. Imagine my terror when, from the corner of my eye, I caught a big shadow lurking in the driveway.

    I froze.

    I looked.

    A big dog?

    No...

    OMG, it's deer. As in, TWO deer. Placidly munching away at the grass peeking up through the snow near my driveway.

    I live in THE SUBURBS. We don't get their kind round these parts (unless they are already prepackaged or barbecued). I ran to get my camera. As mentioned in the previous post, the battery is deadish, so all I got was blur. There was a mini-herd of about five of them ambling down my street. I watched them for a bit. They seemed tame—rather, not too frightened by my presence (and my awe). I wish I'd thought to bring a horse cookie with me but they'd probably have just bolted and with all the picture windows around here, not a good idea. I wonder now if all those times the cats got really interested in what was going on outside was because there were deer in the yard?

    Nature is fascinating. But it worries me that they are in the burbs, because it means food is scarce in the woods.

3 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, January 06, 2008, Blogger becky c. said...

We TOTALLY have to organize an Insanknitty field trip to meet Franklin! Come to knitting on Tuesday night, will ya?

 
At 5:51 PM, January 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun w/Franklin!

Isn't MI overrun w/deer?

I am so jealous you saw Enchanted.

 
At 11:35 AM, January 07, 2008, Blogger KTMay said...

All this Franklin talk is gettin' my Fruit-o-Looms in a bunch! I'm thinkin' we may need to rent a bus!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home