Thursday, January 31, 2008

Tyler Update

Thank you for the suggestion in the comments re: Soft Paws. I'll look into it. If it will save my woodwork and the herd can stand it, it may be worth the effort of slipping them onto 90 individual claws... *shock* no, wait—they only destroy with the fronts, right? 50 claws, then.

You can see why I might hesitate on this, though it is a very worthwhile suggestion. The idea of wrangling five cats, let alone gluing on 50 claw covers is daunting! Especially since the note says, "If you can trim your cat's claws, you can apply Soft Paws." Ummm... I can... WHEN they allow it. (I see they didn't add the disclaimer "without losing an arm".)

The fun thing is, I could actually color-code my cats.

Yeah, I know. Bring on the limiting beliefs already. ;-)

Tyler is doing better. He successfully peed several times on the utility room floor. I didn't reprimand him (because that would be wrong, he's only using the floor because he associates the box with discomfort). Instead, I praised him for peeing and cleaned it up. When I observed him assuming the squat position on the freshly-cleaned tile, I picked him up and stuck him in the box mid-squat and petted and praised him while he stayed there. I told him that he did a good job peeing on the tile, and that if he can pee on the tile, he can also pee in the box, that it's not the box causing discomfort, it's inside him, so let's pee in the box. He peed a little in the box. Much praise.

Poor little guy.

Well, I'd best get to the store for my milk and lottery tickets. My usual routine is to do this on Tuesdays and Fridays, but with the weather reporting an impending storm and up to 8 inches of white annoyance, I'd best be proactive and do it while the roads are still passable. (It hasn't started yet, but procrastination is not my friend, is it?)


Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, January 31, 2008, Blogger becky c. said...

Poor little kitty!! Imagine being scared to pee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home