Friday, January 04, 2008

Yeah.

I know. I'm probably doing it backwards, not the way Peter Walsh suggests. I'm thinking that deciding that now would be a good time to paint the Library/Guest Room isn't in keeping with his method.

If Pete had his way, I'd be doing the Trash Bag Tango™ (his concept) and eliminating uselessness first. If he had his way, painting would come last, I'm betting (stopped reading mid-book to formulate floor plans in FreeHand—less strain on the back than to move actual furniture).

Trouble is, I'm having a hard time doing it Pete's way, because I can't GET to the stuff I need to throw out. It's behind the stuff that needs to be relocated. So... since the Library is virtually void of furniture, and soon it will contain several bookcases loaded with published treasures... it makes sense to me to paint it NOW. THEN move the furniture and presently homeless books into the room.

Right? Then I'll be able to get to some of the trash and "useless" clutter.

I wonder how many times Ol' Pete has encountered someone with layers like this?

Probably all the time.

Only, they have trucks and friends and nice weather and basements, garages and lawns to drag stuff out onto. (Have you seen "Clean Sweep"?)

Are these excuses?

Perhaps.

Maybe for me it feels better to have ONE room "done", even if it's the least cluttered of all. Maybe that gives me the motivation to keep going.

I'm feeling a tad frustrated tonight. I shouldn't. But I just wish I could wave a magic wand and have it ALL done. Have the things that know they aren't needed by me whisk themselves away to where they are needed (if done for, then please, have the decency to trash yourself). Have the furniture figure out how to play nice and share space in a way that makes sense to the way I live and have it move itself. Have the walls change color in the blink of an eye. Have the stuff that I have no idea what to do with (because it doesn't fall into a category other than Misc) figure out where it should live and then go live there.

Looking down the barrel of an enormous project like this takes it out of me.

Sorcerer's Apprentice, where are you when I need you?

Then again... I felt the same way when faced with clearing out and fixing up the other house for sale. Somehow that got done. I took a trip up there today to grab my leftover paint, read the water meter, and make sure the house was OK (it is) and I was surprised by how clean and nice it looks (after two weeks away from it).

So I know I can do it.

I just don't want to.

I mean, I want to, I just... don't want to.

*sigh*


Labels:

5 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, January 05, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to start to try to maybe plan on getting around to attempting some decluttering myself!

I say PAINT NOW!!!

 
At 1:09 PM, January 05, 2008, Blogger Erin said...

No matter how you do it, you will feel AMAZING when it's done!!

 
At 3:39 PM, January 05, 2008, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

I hear you! I've spent the last ten years planning to use my summer vacation to get organized. Hasn't happened. The project is just too big and I can't seem to get started.

I say, "paint!" At least you'll be doing something to get started and that can be a good motivator!

 
At 7:50 PM, January 05, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think just doing it whichever way works for you is the way to ah, do it. Who cares if it's not his exact way? He's not carrying any boxes for you.

It does feel great to be less cluttered though. I really liked his "honor your keepsakes". As in, if they really are tokens of memory, don't shove them in a trash bag in the attic.

That sweater is really cute! Can you size it up for yourself?

 
At 9:25 AM, January 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so far behind the times, but I say you go full-fledged "Clean Sweep". If you have the empty space in the library now, use that as your lawn with tarps and create your own Keep, Sell/Donate & Toss piles in that space.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home