Sunday, April 05, 2009

Just A Bunch of Random Thoughts

FIBERS
Right now, I'm crocheting rather than knitting, and dyeing yarn rather than buying yarn. So there isn't a lot to show at present. The crochet project is Damknit's Ugly Blanket, which I didn't think was ugly at all. I emailed her about the pattern, played around with color combinations in PhotoShop as usual (or FreeHand, I forget which), bought the yarn (Ack, last year), and started in on it. Mine is in fall colors: brick red, forest green, pumpkin orange, pale yellow accented with a variegate in those fall colors, and bordered in deep coffee brown.

It'll be awhile.

HORSES
I've been playing with my horse now that the weather is nicer, and preparing to FINALLY videotape our Parelli Level Two Audition so I can submit them before the May 1 deadline. It's free until then; afterwards, a fee will be charged. They haven't said how much that might be, and I'm all for free, so...

The Parelli organization made some changes to how the program materials and assessments are being handled—I was ready to tape last fall, but in light of the changes, I opted to wait. I'm glad I did. Now, I merely need to put on some music and play with my horse for up to 10 minutes each (Online "groundwork" and Freestyle "riding"), and include a few compulsories. Much easier in some ways than the old task-based assessment.

The former Level Two Assessment to include 25 tasks that HAD to be shown. The downside was, you could be great at all but one task, have stelllar L2++++ skills, but that one task would hold you back from getting your blue string (like karate belts). The upside was, you could tape each task in order, edit the tape, and go at your own pace.

The new Level Two Audition is more lenient. You show off what you CAN do, make sure you can do the handful of compulsories, and the staff watches to see how you handle things when they go awry, how you relate to your horse, how your horse responds to you—it's more about relationships than tasks. The downside is... for those who like checklists, it's daunting to put together a plan and just go for it. The upside is, it's only 10 minutes for each Savvy (Online, Freestyle, Liberty, Finesse) and for Level Two, it only covers the first two Savvys. If there is anything that you shouldoughta be able to do, but isn't a compulsory, but can't quite do yet, you don't have to show it. And, they can rate you at beyond L2. Instead of being limited to just passing L2, you could, if you really demonstrate profound skillz, get a L3 pass in that Savvy. You can be L4 in one Savvy, L3 in another, and solid L2 in the others.

I like that.

I don't like that I only have until May 1 to get this done. Especially with a horse who has suddenly decided to have other plans. (Don't get me started about yesterday's play session.)

EMPLOYMENT (*snort*)
I've also been looking for a job in between. Dudes, there are plenty of graphic design jobs.

In FLORIDA.

Bit of a commute, that.

I've come to the frightening realization that NW Ohio is void of any job that my skill set would fit into. If I want to work, I need to move. But I can't afford to move until I get a job and make enough money to afford to move. Catch-22, anyone? And the estate has to close, houses have to sell because I refuse to add a third vacant house to the list, thankyouverymuch.

The other three Ohio quadrants have more jobs than we do. This is so wrong. Short of flipping burgers, my options are limited.

Just for fun, while nosing around on Monster Dot Cahm, I plugged in "veterinary" and let it search the entire US. There was one awesome job I wish I could take. It's a Patient Care Manager at a major equine diagnostic hospital. It sounds SO awesome, and the pay is great and the hours would allow me to have the earlier part free for horseplay. But it's in Massachusetts.

BIG SIGH.

MY NUMBER ONE GOAL
It's made me realize one thing, though. It's a definite on the career change. I'm through with graphic design. Let's just admit, I made a mistake going into it. I like the creative part, but I don't like the job. Honestly, if my most excited reaction to a potential graphics-related job is merely that for once I don't feel like vomiting as I read the description, doesn't that say something?

I want to do something that allows me to work with animals—especially training and care, but not directly surgical (or lab rat stuff)—and/or to write, and in a sense "minister" to people. I'm very big on promoting positive thought and alternative perspectives—part of the reason the Parelli thing is so appealing. When I watch shows like Dog Whisperer, DogTown, Animal Cops and of course my Parelli stuff, I get all worked up inside. Something says, "I'd love to do something like that with my life". I'd love to help make this a better world for the animals and the people who love them.

Apparently, it might be a bit of a stretch trying to do it in NW Ohio, especially if I think I need to make actual income from it, without further education.

FAITH
This has been such a transitional time for me. I'm also trying to find a church that fits my personal dogma—you'd think it would be easy, but when confronted with Church of this and United that... it's confusing! Every single denomination views things a bit differently, and has a different way of going about it. I know one thing. It has to be liberal. I might be straight, but any church I'd belong to MUST have a very progressive stance on homosexuality, abortion (right to choose), family, women's roles, etc. I'm very much about acceptance and tolerance, even if I don't personally partake in certain activities.

If I can wear jeans and tennis shoes to the service and/or it's more contemporary, all the better. This month, once the Big Holiday is out of the way, I'm going to start checking out options. If anyone has a suggestion, comment or email me.

That's all for now. Just didn't want y'all to think I'd run away. I haven't. Yet! LOL!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, April 06, 2009, Anonymous Carrie K said...

I watch Animal Cops and I want to become an executioner. I can't watch it.

Have faith! Something will turn up. Have you visualized your perfect job and where it should be located? Maybe you don't want to be in NW Ohio anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home