Monday, January 24, 2011

Yay, Steelers, Yay Mac G5 is Home

Well, the Mac G5 has returned home. The problem was with the memory modules. They went bad. Lifetime warranty meant free replacement (not counting the repair fee to run diagnostics on it to make sure everything else was OK, but it was pretty cheap so I am not complaining).

So the computer itself has passed muster hardware-wise and memory-wise. The issue now is that the software still won't launch due to shared library errors, meaning... I get to do that complete overhaul after all. One more round of archiving to make sure some stuff I missed last time gets on DVD, then... erase the entire hard drive, rebuild it from the ground up. I cannot tell you how queasy it makes me to think of doing that. It's like cleaning house. What if I throw away something that seems unimportant, then I find out I really needed it later?

Gah.

Now, for anyone who thinks the whole Mercury Retrograde thing is a myth, let me clear that up for you right now. Compiled from various sources:

In general, Mercury rules thinking and perception, processing and disseminating information and all means of communication, commerce, education and transportation, as well as people who work in these areas.

Mercury retrograde gives rise to personal misunderstandings; flawed, disrupted, or delayed communications, negotiations and trade; glitches and breakdowns with phones, computers, cars, buses, and trains. All of these problems usually arise because some crucial piece of information, or component, has gone astray or awry.

Avoid making important decisions while Mercury is retrograde, since such decisions will be clouded by misinformation, poor communication and careless thinking. Make sure you pay attention to the small print!

When Mercury goes retrograde, the past has a tendency to resurface. Old friends, ex-lovers and unresolved issues pop up out of nowhere. This is a perfect time to deal with the past and finish up old projects:

  • Reconnect with old friends and family members.
  • Revisit old wounds and resentments that need healing and releasing.
  • Do follow-up paper work and tie up loose ends with past projects.
  • Take extra time with travel and be extra clear in communications.
  • De-clutter your home and office.
  • Prepare last year’s taxes.


In other words, expect anything related to electronics, travel and communication to go haywire, don't make big decisions, and finish up old business rather than start anything new.

Mercury was Retrograde during most of December. For a calendar showing all the dates, go here. (Apologies for the annoying light type on black background. Why? I mean, seriously, who can read that?)

The Mac G5 went all kablooey around the 5th of December 2010. I took it to the shop, against my better judgment, on December 20th. The first batch of memory (purchased during MR) failed. The second batch of memory, purchased in early January, worked.

HMMMM.

Because I'm that superstitious, I avoided upgrading or messing with the laptop until we were out of the grey area (January 5th). The upgrade went well. Somehow I knew if I got impatient, it wouldn't go well.

And I cannot tell you how many of my internet friends ran into massive travel issues, had computers, cars and phones blow up on them, and had old flames turn up out of the blue (I had one, too, not one I wanted to ever see again, mind you) AND my Christmas travel plans were delayed until January 15th.

Nope. Nothing to that Mercury Retrograde stuff. Not at all.

Oh, and Go Steelers.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, January 25, 2011, Anonymous Carrie#K said...

Yay for getting your computer back!

sticking fingers in ears for anything that will make me feel even MORE like walking into the ocean (if, y'know, I could stand the idea of a) the freezing cold water & b) drowning.:)

my word verifiation was chillat! funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home