Friday, December 29, 2006

Sand, Oil, Fresh Air...

...and you thought I was at the beach, didn't you? ;-)

Quite the contrary. It was Day One of Loom Construction, which didn't actually involve much in the way of constructing.

I sanded.
I concentrated carefully on the parts with which my hands would most likely come into contact on a regular basis, using #320 fine grit until they were super smooth. When the feel of the wood started to feel "sexy", I knew I'd achieved my goal. I wanted these parts to feel ever so silky when I run my hands over them. Yummy smooth.

I visited the hardware store.
I was so AR about smoothing out the beater bar and other touchy-feely parts that I managed to use up the entire sheet of #320 fine grit sandpaper Harrisville provided and needed to buy more.

I sanded some more.
The other parts I only gave a light once-over to knock off any roughies.

I got tacky.
Using tack paper, I wiped down every part to ensure no miniscule sawdust specks remained. Tack paper is sticky so it picks up everything.

I oiled.
Every single one of those wooden parts including the forty pulleys and the small treadle spacers which look like stubby dowels. Take a look at the pictures in the earlier post if you need a reminder of how many wooden pieces need this treatment. I think it's oil and turpentine, judging by the smell. Which leads me to...

Fresh air
Courtesy of the open front door, because the fumes began to get to me. I'm across the house from the drying pieces, have washed up and changed clothes, and I can still smell the stuff. I think it permeated my nostrils. Eeee.

They need a second oiling, but I've had enough for one day. It took two hours to sand and an hour and a half to oil. They only need to dry for a half hour, so I'll be bolting things together tomorrow afternoon!

3 Comments:

At 2:21 AM, December 30, 2006, Blogger tiennieknits said...

sCan't wait to see!

 
At 10:39 AM, December 30, 2006, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

eek! This sounds like actual "work!" I look forward to seeing everything all assembled and prettied up, though. Have fun!

 
At 12:01 AM, December 31, 2006, Blogger Jeanne said...

It WAS actual work. More than I anticipated. But I got into the whole Zen of it and really concentrated on permeating it with positive energy (except towards the end when I just plain got tired). It was really important to me that I visualize happiness, good feelings, beautiful fabrics, creativity, etc while I built it. I'm glad I did. It really sings to me now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home