Tuesday, January 16, 2007

As Anticipated

It seems that I'm lagging behind in my posts. Well, school and all. Adjusting to the new (busy) schedule and keeping up with homework (already?!?) has me preoccupied.

In my Entrepreneurship class (Creativity & Innovation), we have to make a homemade ID for Thursday, something everyone in the class can see clearly from the semi-circle our chairs are in, and it can be anything we dream up. It can be wearable, or sit on the desk, or whatever.

You KNOW I plan to knit mine. ;-)

Now, since I'm lacking in content other than to say I am butt-tired and still have two chapters of Econ to read for tomorrow and a load of laundry to dry, I hereby post the requisite Cat Photo.

May I present, Samsarra's Indigo aka Sam aka Blue. The cat who doesn't know he's not supposed to be a Russian Blue.



Above: My Sammy Blue.
Below: A photo from Wikipedia of a pedigreed blue.



Gee. They look completely different. *snort*

NOT.

And another pedigreed Russian:



I'd post more, but it's already getting redundant. Blue and Tyler (scroll down) are littermates. Their momcat Katie was a small stray white-with-grey-patches domestic cat owned by my former neighbor Harvey. Daddy was...? Obviously, Daddy, or Katie's Grandpappy was a Russian Blue. From birth, Blue has had all the characteristics of a true Russian, except a pedigree fourteen miles long. According to RussianBlue.info:

The Russian Blue has a very distinct appearance and several unique identifiers. The easier identifiers are:
  • Green eyes (not yellow, blue, or orange but a dark bottle green)
    Check. (disposable camera, flash, taken at night. trust me. they are bottle green.)
  • Solid blue all over with just the tips of the guard hairs being silver and producing a shimmering effect. Domestic blue cats will lack this tipping and be a flat blue. There are no white or other color markings whatsoever, except for the occasional white locket on the throat (considered a disqualifiable fault)
    Check.
  • A thick double coat. The first coat consists of the longer guard hairs. The second is the undercoat, which is very soft and gives the Russian Blue coat its unique feel. Looked at closely, these fine hairs appear wavy.
    Check.
  • Mauve footpads. Most domestic blue cats have slate gray pads.
    Check.
For additional characteristics such as body structure, profile, ear placement, please see the Russian Blue breed standards at:
The Cat Fanciers' Association Russian Blue Breed Standard
RussianBlue.net's Description of the Russian Blue

But, Russian breeders all claim on their breed websites that this is "simply not possible *snif* because Russians are far too sheltered to ever be let outside to gallavant around with *ergk* mere commoners". Yep. They claim no Russian Blue stud has evah deigned to jump the fence.

Well, I've got living, yowling proof in my family room that says at least one of 'em got out.

LOL!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, January 17, 2007, Blogger tiennieknits said...

Too funny - I guess one of them went tomcatting around.

 
At 2:25 PM, January 18, 2007, Blogger Stick said...

Hi Sammy! You're CUTE!

 
At 6:47 PM, January 18, 2007, Blogger Carrie K said...

That's just what they tell their wives - I mean owners. Life companions. Trust me, they're catting around. Even without Sammy as living proof.

Pretty kitty, btw!

 
At 2:12 AM, January 19, 2007, Blogger Jeanne said...

Sammy sez PURRRRRRRRRR. He just loves attention.

Tiennie, you are too funny! Tomcatting around. LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home