Friday, July 27, 2007

Now With More Sheeting Action

Oh, my, two posts in one day! Whatever is that about?

We've been having some severe weather here in NW Ohio during the past 24 hours. There was an outbreak of Ceiling Cats last night during the thunderstorms, and today brought the aftershocks.

I was out running errands today during a calm spot. I needed some RIT© Color Remover because I did something UNBELIEVABLY stupid and washed a mostly-white quilt, an off-white blanket and a burgundy blanket in the same load and FORGOT to turn it to Cold/Cold. It was on WARM/Cold. The mottled pink quilt and blanket are unacceptable. I never do stuff like this. I always was EVERYTHING in cold water. What the hell? Maytag Gremlins? JoAnn's had some. I got four boxes. We'll see. Luckily it wasn't an IMPORTANT quilt or anything handmade, just a run-of-the-mill department store knock-off.

JoAnn's is next door to the grocery store, so I popped in for a few sundries and as I checked out 15 minutes later, the sprinkles became a gullywasher. Several of us stood under the overhang waiting for it to slow before venturing out. I got a little damp but nothing major. Across the street is the convenience store where I get my milk. I know—why not buy it in the grocery store? Because IMHO the flavor, or lack thereof, of the grocery store's milk SUCKS COW NOZZLES. It tastes like water. So I pay a dollar more for convenience store dairy milk that tastes yummy. And, I always get my one lone Mega Millions ticket, because, you know, I AM already a winner (it's just taking the Universe a little while to make it manifest for me).

Again with the downpour on the way out of the convenience store. I sprinted through the puddles and landed safely in the car. It was one of those rare rainfalls where it's pouring buckets, but the sun is shining. You know what that means, right?

RAINBOW!!! If only my cell phone weren't at home charging. It was gorgeous. It was a full arc, end to end. When I see a rainbow, I believe it's my parents letting me know everything is all right—there is always beauty after the storm. It was warm and humid as I exited the parking lot, but the rain had stopped, the sun was shining, and I was whistling from seeing the Rainbow. I hit the switch and rolled down my window to enjoy the scent of fresh rain on the ground. Nothing like the smell of humid summer earth after a storm.

The streets were a bit flooded from the sudden downpour and I moved to the left-hand lane to be on higher ground (the floods were mostly to the right). I saw it coming right before it happened, but didn't have time to react.

That's right.

Oncoming car.

Speeding despite the wet pavement.

Headed straight for...






...an ENORMOUS flood-puddle.

At the very moment that we passed each other, he plowed through the flood and I watched in horror as the water shot up a gigantic wave about 10 feet high.

Which was now all over the completely-drenched left-side of my body, having come in through my open window.

I'll admit it.

I laughed my ass off. I mean, I asked for that, don'tcha think? Flooded streets? Open window? Smaaaaaaarrrrrt.

I guess I can skip the shower tonight.


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, July 27, 2007, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

If I could get the rain without the tidal wave shower, I'd take it! It might cool things off in these parts.

I've been on a "good milk hunt" myself. I found that the organic milk in the health food section is pretty good. Me. In the health food section. If that's not an oxymoron, I don't know what is...

 
At 10:19 PM, July 27, 2007, Blogger Karen said...

I am grinning at your description of the tidal wave coming at you, Jeanne. Sorry. Can't help it. So happy to read that the rainbow took the sting out of getting soaked. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home