Wednesday, August 22, 2007

People Are Strange But Some Are Fun

So I just got a call from a cousin in Southern Ohio regarding my grandma's house. Apparently, because we are selling off "the family home", my sister and I are in deep doo-doo and everyone is mad at us. I had called this cousin last week to ask questions that might help us with the decisions surrounding the house sale. I picked this cousin based on the strength of the cousin's relationship with my Mother.

Seems I picked wrong.

Not a very nice call.

It was one of those calls where the words sounded nice, but you could feel the revile rolling off of the person and the bitterness and anger and downright ball of snark being directed at me.

I guess if we sell off Granny's home, Sister and I become persona non grata in the family.

Another of my mother's cousins down in Florida spoke with me a month ago. She is a very nice old lady. She shared with me the difficulty (emotionally) that she had with selling off her own large property down there—then she warned me. She said nobody in the family wanted her house, but because she sold it off, they were all mad at her and no longer speaking to her.

Oh, well.

They have had every opportunity to make us an offer. If they can't, or don't want to, and it gets sold to an "outsider", then they'll just have to live with themselves because I am not going to jeopardize MY future because of the threat of family snobbery. Let them snub me. If that's the kind of people they are, then maybe my Mother's family isn't as nice as we've all been lead to believe.

It is interesting how the TRUE personalities of people emerge following a significant death or life transition.

Hmmph.

In other news, things are still progressing on the Big Secret Front. The funny thing is, it seems really huge to me, but I'll bet once the secret is out, everyone who is currently on pins and needles will deflate and say, "OH. Is that all it was?" Or not. Time will tell.

It was quite a rowdy, enjoyable time last night at the Yarn Haven Tuesday InsanKnitty (yay we picked a name!)! Finally I got to meet Becky! It was so crowded that Karen, Sarah Lou, Becky and I moved to the porch. The weather was lovely—a tad muggy but not too hot—and the innuendos and crazy stories were flying! Thank you Becky for righting my wrong. Silly me. I'd cast on and was knitting on a chemo cap in the round and put it down to go to the bathroom. When I returned, I picked it up wrong (or was laughing too hard to realize what I was doing) and accidentally short-rowed myself. I noticed the ribbing looked wonky after a few rows. Becky was kind enough to undo and reknit my work for me.

Anybody know if there is a big market for Gorilla-Butt Shavers?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, August 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My aunt was so upset about her father's home being sold after his death, that once it was on the market she bought it. Then, because she already had a house, she gave it to her daughter. The house was in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere Kansas. Her daughter never said anything about it and moved into it. I'm sorry, but if my mother bought me a house without consulting me and forced me to move into it ... I would NOT be happy about it. Even if the house was my dream home in the perfect neighborhood, it is still very, very weird.

You're right ... living somewhere out of guilt is not the way to live your life.

 
At 6:40 AM, August 23, 2007, Blogger becky c. said...

Shaving a monkey's butt is tricky and should only be done by a professional. Do NOT try this at home!

 
At 12:55 PM, August 23, 2007, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Yeah...it's easy for people to cast about the blame and snarkiness when they are on the outside of a inheritance situation. I'm betting that if the shoes were on other feet, they would be doing exactly what you have done.

I'd send them some literature on Gorilla Butt Shaving colleges. That should shut every one up for a minute or two...

 
At 3:37 PM, August 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what? Life's too short to deal with people that are toxic to you. Enjoy! And you're right, they could make an offer if they want it. Otherwise, spend the time doing what makes you feel good - like finding a gorilla butt shaver.

 
At 9:26 PM, August 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorilla Butt Shavers? this is what I think went down... at knit night you all were talking about socks and the latest Mondkeys craze - they are cute, and then you got on the topic of Real Monkeys and that made someone giggle and think of those ones with the pink bare bottoms and somehow you got to Gorilla Butt Shavers. Am I close??

And today, I had a very similar conversation with someone about how some people don't appreciate something while it's there and then BITCH about when it's owner sells. (in this case an older amphitheater in N'ville has been sold b/c NO ONE went to shows there. But when they sold it the citizens went nuts. Hello! you didn't care about it before, you don't get to care about it now. That's what I'd say to the snarky cousin.

I read your Novella last night, (thank you!!!) but I've been up to my eyeballs in jobs and houses. Will reply soon, I promise!

 
At 10:58 PM, August 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly kind of a typical family reaction I've seen. They either go bananas over how the estate was distributed, or the sales, or something stupid. It's amazing what families think *someone else* should do. Notice it's not them? Phooey on 'em.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home