Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Excitement Abounds

The cats—five of them—require supervision to prevent wayward claws from deciding the woodwork makes a fine scratching post, or to dissuade opening the cabinet doors to walk amongst the cooking utensils, or to carefully taste any object not nailed down. Hence they are rarely let loose in the main house.

Today, I allowed them the privilege. After cleaning the catboxes, I needed a shower, so I asked Rocker Boy (who was shackled to his computer) if he'd mind keeping an eye on them for me. He agreed. I showered, then got on the computer briefly to see if my mail had decided to work. I heard him rise, walk to the deck door, open the slider, and close it behind him as he exited for a smoke.

I quickly abandoned my computer a moment later after hitting Send. I knew... can't trust those cats.

Guess what I found?

My Embossed Lace sock and yarn cake splattered all over the floor, one needle hanging on precariously to its stitches, one needle liberated from its moorings nowhere to be found. I shouted. Cats scattered. Rocker Boy re-entered. Saw the carnage. Exclaimed in disbelief, "but... I was only gone for a minute!"

I cast a wise eye on him, raised one eyebrow, and said pointedly, "And you tried to tell me that cats are different from kids?" (They're not.)

The liberated needle was located moments later out in the cat room where it had been abandoned like a ladies' purse after a mugging.

My Addi Lace #1 will never be the same. The culprit was my blue cat, who has a taste for the plastic (he chews and sucks on all manner of baggie, wrapping or tube). There are teeth marks. Prominent ones. There is one particularly dicey area that I fear—no, I know—will, eventually, under pressure of use, give way and separate the two ends forevermore.

Alas, Yarn Haven closed at 6 PM, five minutes after I found the mess. I'm limping along with my wounded Addi's, having reclaimed the stitches and reworked the short-rows my cat so thoughtfully determined needed redoing, and am past the heel gusset into the footwork.

And I think nothing exciting ever happens around here.


Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, October 10, 2007, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

My cats have the run of the house and I long ago gave up on them ever behaving. Oddly enough, though, they have little to no interest in knitting or any other fiber related item. Not even the spinning wheel and I figured that would be used as scratching post within five minutes of it coming home.

My deepest sympathies on your feline crisis. They aren't like kids at all...they are worse! They will never go to college and get good jobs so they can support you. But, how can you not love a kitty??? We tolerate a great deal for the fluffy little cuddlies!

 
At 12:25 AM, October 11, 2007, Blogger sarah lou said...

skacel will replace that for you. i swear. last year around this time some girl in a knitting group i was in on myspace told us all about replacement needles she got after one of her kids took a pair of scissors to one of her circs. i don't know if you contact the company or if you just take it to dale and bobbi and they send it back, but it does work that way! :)

sorry that it stalls you, though. :(

 
At 11:20 AM, October 11, 2007, Blogger becky c. said...

Yikes! Thems some crazy critters ya got there, ma'am.

 
At 2:13 PM, October 11, 2007, Blogger Karen said...

EEEEK! Crazy felines! I love my Labs. They don't touch my knitting. Except for Bruno who seems to have a thing for alpaca. Knowing that, I just don't buy anything alpaca. He just ran around with it in his mouth going crazy.

I'm with Sarah, though. Skacel will replace your Addi.

 
At 12:59 PM, October 12, 2007, Blogger KTMay said...

OMG! I had a plastic eating cat at one time as well! It would eat all the platic from around a loaf of bread, but LEAVE the bread alone. We had to hide EVERYTHING from Kroger bags to ziploc baggies! Crazy.

SOOOOO sorry about your knitting! Tell Rocker Boy to quit his smoking so these things don't happen! :p

 
At 1:00 AM, October 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! I don't have any cats to worry about and I know my pup's a chewer so the knitting is never ever left out for her!

 
At 6:16 AM, October 19, 2007, Blogger Jocerane said...

I have 7 cats...but they are allowed to go wherever they want, so they are less curious and interrested with my knitting. They're used to in fact, and don't mind about it...most of the time! But when they have something to obtain and that I don't "obey" quickly enough, they know what to do...!

 
At 11:56 PM, October 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad kitties! Sheepish Annie has a point about them being worse than kids.

"abandoned like a ladies purse after a mugging" nice phrasing! Exactly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home