Sunday, October 28, 2007

Numbering Error, Random Rants

As I glanced at the calendar today, wondering how this month flew by so fast, something stranged occurred to me and I wondered if anyone else has ever noticed this.

SEPT = seven
OCT = eight
NOV I can only assume = nine
DEC = ten

Why then, is SEPTember the ninth month, October the tenth, November the eleventh, and December the twelfth? Why isn't October the EIGHTH month?

And why is it January February March etc through August, then...

-ember
-ober
-ember
-ember

Anyone? Bueller?

And when is this new time change supposed to occur again? Wait. We fall backwards. So that means... if darkness comes at 7 PM... and we turn 7 back to 6... hmm. Well, I guess it'll be dark when I wake up.

Man, I hate this time of year. Even if I did manage to wake up in a GOOD mood this afternoon.

Oh, and one last thing. Pet Peeve: 700-page software manuals that come only in PDF form. Meaning in order to have this necessary reference on hand and visible while working in the software, one must either:
  • buy enough ink cartridges and paper to print out the epic (and buy a notebook or two large enough to hold a ream-and-a-half of paper, thank you)
  • buy a book someone wrote that is similar to having the manual but not available from your LBS meaning shipping cost/time
  • have a second computer available and running at the same time to hold the PDF (because we don't want to put stress on the main CPU running the music software by having an "unnecessary" application open nor does it help to have to switch back and forth from PDF to program to PDF to program when you're trying to look at the screen shots AND the monitor at the same time)
Personally I HATE trying to read manuals on screen. I like having the book propped open in my lap while I work. I don't like trying to balance the laptop while attending to, uh, eliminatory matters (my best reading time). It tends to burn the skin. Not to mention the threat of dropping it in the toilet accidentally. Or the bathtub. Books can dry out. Laptops? Not so much. (No, I don't know this from experience; intuition tells me so.)

What happened to the good old days when you got that big 3" x 11" x 8" box of software and it contained something substantial, not just air and a DVD and a whole lot of filler cardboard?

Enough whining. Besides. I have to go to Wal-Martâ„¢ for another ream of paper and some ink.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, October 28, 2007, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

I believe that Nov. 4th is the next clock fiasco. They changed it last year, if I recall correctly. And I do believe they did it just to mess with me...

 
At 11:04 PM, October 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Months are odd things. Many of them are named after pagan gods or roman rulers. For a while there were 10 months, and then came 12. Before the 10 months was the Hebrew system, which was totally different. I was just talking about it this afternoon. Funny thing. I bet the Wikipedia page is loaded with worthwhile explanations ... :)

 
At 4:48 PM, October 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the months are named that way because the calendar used to only have 10 months in it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home