Sunday, February 17, 2008

CPH Swatch Moment of Truth

So I took the plunge and knit a CPH swatch in lovely Old Sage Lamb's Pride Worsted (single-ply), 20 stitches across, including one cable, and topped it off with 2x2 rib at the end for good measure (no pun intended).

The freshly-knit dimensions:

4.25" wide x 5" long

The swatch experienced life in the lukewarm tub (can't be hot-tubbing it when you are partly wool) of Eucalan, then was gently squeezed out and blocked appropriately to the board. It languished overnight, drying.

The blocked dimensions:

4.5" wide x 5.5" long

Hmmm. That's a quarter-inch width dif and a half-inch length dif. My gauge initially was 4.25 sts/inch. Cast on 110. That means... doing the math... hang on...

OK, help?

OK... if a 20-st swatch measures 4.5" wide.... then 110 sts / 20 = 5.5 x 4.5" = 24.75" wide.

OK so if the finished dimension is supposedly 25", I'm close? But I want it to be a tad larger. A TAD. Not three inches. More like an inch or so. Do I go up one needle size to a #9?

Maybe I'm not ready for a sweater.

Of course the alternative is, if it's too small, I can always trim down until I fit the sweater...


Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, February 17, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad there aren't any buttonholes. (Because misery loves company).

Swatch until you hit the measurements you want! That's the whole point of swatching. I'd say up or down a needle size but my brain just went into the Left? Right? West? WHAT?? freeze.

The colorway is fab looking.

 
At 10:37 AM, February 18, 2008, Blogger Stick said...

Math is hard

 

Post a Comment

<< Home