Monday, March 17, 2008

Why Blog? A Meme

In lieu of anything more interesting, I'll take a page from Lick My Sticks and post this meme. I also refuse to tag it forward, but feel free to participate if you wish.

1. Why did you start your blog?

Because my Mother was dying and I was knitting. Mom was my outlet. She patiently listened to every story I told, every experience I ever had, and shared every success or triumph with me. Despite our differences, we were best friends. During the Year of Bi-Monthly ER Visits (2006), I rediscovered my love for knitting as a way to pass the time (and my panicking mind) while sitting in the hospitals. I stumbled onto knitting blogs while looking for a technique, I think, and blogging appealed to me as I've been a life-long journal keeper.

As Mother's impending death grew nearer, I knew I needed a place to unleash all of the things I had always shared with her. It was a subconscious choice at the time to develop a blog, but it makes sense now. Writing eases the void I've felt since my most devoted "ear" departed, and the upside is that I've made a lot of new friends all over the world.

2. How did you come up with your blog name?

I'm known for my witty banter and for my love of a good pun. Knitty rhymes with witty, so...

3. Do your friends and family know about your blog? What do they think of it?

My Mom knew about it but she didn't understand what it was. I haven't outright told any of my inner circle about it. I'm not sure why. I guess I think I'm anonymous that way. One of these days I might do a big reveal. It's kind of like having a private journal out in public. Why it's OK for "complete strangers" to see those thoughts but not my oldest friends is something I'm still working through.

4. How do you write posts?

Um, I type them?

OK, I'll be serious. I wing it. When something of note happens (like Tyler's sneeze) that just has to be shared, or if I feel the need to vent, or have a revelation, I write. If I have a project to talk about, I write. I just freestyle it. This is me, writing.

5. Have you ever had a troll or had to delete unkind comments?

I've only had a couple of spams. I did have to delete an unkind comment made on the video of me riding the camel on YouTube, though.

6. Do you check your stats? Do you care how many people read your blog? If you do care, how to you increase traffic?

Eh, I've checked them once or twice. Audience membership numbers don't mean much to me. I'm just glad there are readers at all! :-)

7. What kind of blogs/posts interest you?

I love introspection and self-reflection. Humor appeals to me. I like a combination of knitting and life, really. Franklin, Crazy Aunt Purl, Yarn Harlot—they share projects AND they discuss their perspectives on life.

8. What do you like and dislike about blogging?

The immediacy of posting my thoughts and possibly receiving answers to questions. Being able to tap into the minds of thousands of other people at a given moment by searching. The variety of perspectives, projects, feelings, geographical locations, personalities, etcetera that are out there. Feeling connected to a community. That you can get to know someone through their personality and project choices before ever meeting F2F (so you like them for THEM, not for whatever they display). That you can maybe learn to understand people who aren't quite like you but share the same interests. It makes the global community tighter. That's what I like.

What I dislike? Blog software. Clunky sometimes. The feeling that you never know who might be watching from behind the curtain. Wondering if you ever say too much. Knowing it's all being put "out there" and not knowing what might come back to haunt you (makes you more careful about how you word things).

All in all, I Heart Blogging. It's given me a connection to the world that I needed.

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!



Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, March 18, 2008, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Interesting...I always wonder how others got started doing this!

 
At 12:35 PM, March 19, 2008, Blogger Lick My Sticks said...

I love this meme, it's so cool to find out why people start (and keep) blogging.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home