Thursday, November 06, 2008

To Anonymous

Oh, I might be setting myself up in the line of fire for this, but I really hope it's read with the right intention in mind because it is meant to help. That said, here goes... [donning flame-retardant suit]

I welcome everyone's opinions, I really do, because I'm a philosopher at heart and I enjoy debating things as long as it's done with respect. So it was great to have a few weigh in on the last post. I especially like it when people have the courage to own their opinions.

And then there are those who, for whatever reason, will not own their opinion, possibly for fear of being attacked over it. Understandable. However, I would hope that anyone who reads my blog would feel safe enough to express it. I'm really quite harmless. :-)

But sometimes I see or hear things that trouble me and cry out for a response. This is one of those times.

My dear Anonymous, whomever you are... you wrote:
I just hope this change doesn't cause my husband to have to close his business when the tax increases start hitting.
Well, I hope your husband doesn't have to close his business, either. I really hope he continues to be successful. I'd be surprised, however, if a business fails solely on the basis of an increase in taxes. Failure is never attributable to one factor; it usually takes a multiple of factors to contribute to something as monumental as a complete business shutdown.

So I really wouldn't worry about it that much. The man going into the White House in 75 days is smart enough to take into account the other components of the economic equation. The 30% uniform tax being proposed would only be an issue if all other components remain the same as they are right now. Yes. That would be a problem. If wages remain low, joblessness continues, prices for common things like milk and gas skyrocket again—yes. But as previously stated, Obama is smart. He has wise counsel. If taxes are adjusted AND more jobs are available AND the cost of living improves AND wages improve, we really won't notice the 30% that much. It's a fair trade off for an overall enormous improvement across the board.

And no, I'm NOT currently a member of the wealthy untouchables (were I...). I've actually been having a pretty rotten year financially speaking, but it's finally on the upswing, and I see HOPE for the first time in two years.

I am also a firm believer, with first-hand evidence, that what we focus on is what we get—so I'm sorry to say it would not surprise me if you did come back with reports of the business failing. Not because Obama is in the House, not because of tax increases—if it fails it is based on mindset.

I'm sure you'll find this offensive, for which I apologize, as that is not my intent. My intent is to teach a principle I've learned myself this past year that could really help prevent the very experience you fear. Having been in the hot seat myself, I know it's difficult to face the truth when you learn that you and you alone are responsible for your state of affairs. YOU are wholly responsible for what you experience. NOBODY ELSE is to blame, and nothing else is to blame. Not taxes, not the government, not your job, your spouse, your kids, your mother-in-law, your drinking problem, your hangnails, your dog, your school system, the weather, the neighbors up the road, the auto manufacturers, global warming—YOU.

What you think, you get. What you believe, you'll manifest. To me, it sounds as if you have already decided that your husband's business will fail, and you've chosen a possible future event as the culprit to blame it on. If that is what you choose to carry in your thoughts and envision as the end result of the election, then I'm so sorry. Not that Obama won, but that you opted to make that particular thought choice when it would have been just as easy to say,
"OK... some folks think this Obama tax increase is going to kill their business... too bad for them. I'm opting out."
It's like what Jack Canfield (author, Chicken Soup series and the Success Principles) says. "I hear there's a recession but I've decided not to participate".

I'll pray for you and your husband, and pray that your business thrives regardless of the changes afoot. I'm sorry I had to put this out in public, but I don't know who you are... you had a choice, you could have left your name, but you chose to remain Anonymous.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, November 07, 2008, Blogger sarah lou said...

jeanne, this is beautiful. and you are for taking the time to write it. it's very respectful and i can't imagine that "anonymous" would find it offensive, unless, as you mentioned she's determined to place blame and not take responsibility for her own happiness. i'm glad you've found something that works for you and that hope and your financial situation are both on the upswing! *hugs* hope you can make it to a tuesday night knitting session, sometime!

 
At 11:46 AM, November 09, 2008, Blogger Karen said...

Amen to that, Jeanne! You expressed your point of view respectfully, and even better, you owned your words by attaching your name.

Miss you much. Hope to see you soon.

 
At 1:54 PM, November 09, 2008, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Well said! It's a scary time and probably even scarier to be a business owner these days. But taxes aren't necessarily the problem with the economy right now. I think that, with the right mindset, we will all make it through this just fine. I'm not exactly sitting pretty these days either. But I'm going to make it work and own the situation I'm in. That's the key to keeping it all afloat.

 
At 5:44 PM, November 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ITA w/Stick, no matter who gets in the White House, taxes are going to go up and jobs are going to start going away. I hope that we can stem the tide and make this just a recession rather than a full blown depression but it would be a whole lot better for the country if we could all just suck it up and play nicely together.

I swear, sometimes the US reminds me of a bitterly divorced couple who share custody of their child. They don't really wish their child harm, but they just can't quite help making snide remarks and sabotaging decisions about the other parent.

That's why we have elections. One side won. Narrowly or not. GWB was the Pres for 8 years whether or not he was recognized by a lot of folks unhappy with that choice (and those that became unhappy with that choice ;). Now Barack Obams will be the President. Pull together. What's the old saw? United we stand. Divided we fall.

 
At 6:44 PM, November 09, 2008, Blogger Lori Skoog said...

Jeanne....I am new to your site. This is a great post and I feel exactly the same way. Well put
!!!
Lori Skoog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home