Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Why I'm Home and Not at Knit Night

It's because the cough is back. And since I'm still not sure if it's infectious or just dust/cat hair/vocal irritation, although I have the night off, I'm staying put.

Last Tuesday night, after pulling an impressive 2.2 CPH (calls per hour) at work despite feeling like garbage and having a rough voice, I decided I needed time off. The nice thing about temping is that you can do that. You can also, at this job, decide to not be on the schedule for a week and still have a job the week after.

So, I called my temp agency last Wednesday and had them remove me for this week (Mon, Tues, Fri, Sun).

I called them on Friday because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to go in or not (since the week runs Sun-Sat). Turns out the project was finished Wednesday night, and the company is shut down until the next survey project starts (which was supposed to be Monday). Which is cool for me, because it means I'm not "missing out" on work time anyway.

Turns out they weren't ready Monday either.

Could turn out that I didn't have to bother removing myself from the schedule after all--had I just left it alone, it would have worked out anyway.

However, I feel it's better to know I have the time off, rather than playing the odds. And I stood up for what I wanted for myself despite being terrified it would mean the end of my employment (despite the "flexibility" included). I did what was best for my voice and health.

This is a really important move for me: to stand up for myself despite the fear, rather than go along with it and be muttering under my failing voice about how resentful I am while feeling secretly vindicated when the company gives us the time off I denied myself.

My voice is recovering. I almost sound like a human being again.

I think I'm changing my availability to Thursdays instead of Tuesdays, and working a 4-8 that day instead of 4-9. That way I can have knit nights back, and be home in time for Grey's.

I'd really like to change my availability to "calling in on account of MegaMillions Jackpot Win", though.

So the first Coriolis is done. I'm a quarter through the second Coriolis (pre-heel) then I'm doing another Woven Ridge. This is monumental--two socks in one month! And I'm rearranging the offistudio so I can open up the loom.

The concept of clearing out the yarn stash first, however, has been deemed a procrastination attempt (by ME). Instead, I'm relocating the chaos from the space where the open loom will go to the space where the folded loom currently resides. Yep, that's right. All I'm doing is moving the mess out of my way. But if it means I can jump back into my craft, it's worth it. And I no longer have to kid myself thinking, "I'll just organize this THEN I'll be happily weaving away in my nice clean perfectly ordered offistudio".

I mean, really. Who are we kidding? LOL!

In other news, I've finally realized that my favorite books to read are How-To books. If you look at my shelves, that's what most of them are: How to quilt, knit, sew, design, spin, weave, dye, install tile, garden, make home furnishings, type fast, use internet software, record music in Cubase, notate music the Nashville way, play banjo and lap steel guitar, teach your cat to do tricks, communicate with your horse, attract money now using visualization... And wedged in between there are a few literary gems and a decent selection of Stephen King novels.

Interesting.

And a clue as to why I claim to love reading and love books themselves, but fail miserably at NaNoWriMo.

News flash: I am not a novelist.

If I were to write a book, it would likely be a How-To. Or a personal journal of my introspective journey through self-analysis. But, I have a blog for that.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, November 17, 2009, Blogger Robin said...

We have not had a TV more than we've had a TV since moving to Ohio on 09/05/09. I've been catching up on my must-see TV via www.hulu.com. A great site!

 
At 6:29 PM, November 19, 2009, Blogger Carrie K said...

Grey's is such a trainwreck and yet....I keep watching it.

I can't write either. You'd think, surrounded by all my books and all the ones I've read over the years.......something would rub off. You'd be wrong.

When I temped, I went from one job to the other. I couldn't quite bring myself to turn any work down and therefore I ended up working more than I did when I'd been permanently employed. Times may be different.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home