Monday, January 28, 2008

Habitual Messages, Grey's, and Horrorscopes

Which Grey's Anatomy Character Are You?

Created by BuddyTV


Of course. Who else would I be?

And in other news... (my notes in this color)

Weekly Horoscope
For the week starting 28 January 2008
Horoscope courtesy of Kathy Cooper © 2007 Uranian Nights

On Tuesday Venus forms a helpful link to Saturn which could put you in a public place giving a speech that is about a topic very dear to your heart.
No idea what they're talking about. Unless they mean blogging.

On Friday Venus forms a close link to Jupiter which could see you either being proposed to or actually getting married.
Oh. Really. Funny how my horoscope has been saying this for the past YEAR, and I have yet to see a proposal and since I'm not dating anyone and nobody's even on the remote horizon visible through a telescope, somehow this seems rather far fetched. I'm laughing.

On Sunday Mercury forms a close link to Neptune (as it did on 23 January) in your sector of wills, legacies, the goods of the deceased, loans, your partner’s income or any other shared resource. Take care if you have to sign anything that involves any of the above issues as otherwise you may be inadvertently swindled out of your belongings. There may be a mystery or confusion over the passing of someone dear to you that may remain unsolved for a long period of time.
Oy frikken vey! I thought this sounded familiar. The "swindled" part showed up last week, too. I heeded the warning for that Wednesday. Luckily, no contracts of any sort arrived—nothing happened, in fact, so I assumed I was good to go, belongings intact. I'll be super careful this week, too, since I'm definitely riding that sector. Wonder what the mystery over the passing part is all about? Do they mean my horse Wildflower that died in 2005? I don't know how she got hurt. It's a mystery. If anyone knew, they weren't talking. It has to be that, because there isn't any mystery as to why my parents died.

All rightie. Now I'll revisit a previous concept. I woke up thinking about my Mother, and how she lived her life, and what she said as habit. From this I garnered quite the epiphany. It's funny, because I already knew this, but it didn't hit home until today when I viewed it in reference to her life. The details aren't important, but it points to self-fulfilling prophecies of the most mundane type. Oh, all right, one example. My Mother used to say "Oh, I'm so tired, I need to go lie down and rest for awhile."

Seems innocuous, right?

Let it be known that my Mother practically "rested" her life away. I realized I'm in danger of doing the same. Not resting so much, but rather, not doing as much as I could be doing. And the source of it lies in the simple, mundane things that float through my brain and casually slide out of my mouth in conversation.

There are certain phrases we utter that imply "lack". In the world of the LoA, what we focus on, we get more of. If we focus on having, we get more. If we focus on not having, or lacking, we get more lack. The key phrases are:

I NEED/I NEED TO
I WANT/I WANT TO
I HAVE TO*
I SHOULD
I OUGHT TO
I'VE GOT TO (poor grammar aside)

* I HAVE TO is on the list but I HAVE is an exception because I HAVE is a positive affirmation

There are additional phrases that, while sounding positive, include a possibility of doubt:
I WISH/I WISH I COULD
I HOPE

Anything that is prefaced by one of these phrases is automatically aligned with LACK.

Think about that for a moment.

I'm so tired, I need to lie down and rest = I am affirming my exhaustion, and lacking the rest
I need a job = I am lacking a job
I need more money = I am lacking more money
I need a nap = I am lacking a nap
I need to lose weight = I am lacking in the losing weight department
I need to go to the gym = I'm lacking gym time
I have to clean the house = I am lacking cleaning the house
I should go to the store = I am lacking going to the store
I hope I find a job soon = I'm positive about getting a job soon, because I lack one, but I'm not completely sure about finding one

If these phrases are aligned with LACK, and if what we focus on is what we get more of... then what are we setting ourselves up for by using these phrases? And they are tossed around so casually we don't even notice!

My challenge today—and I invite anyone who is interested to feel free to join me—is to be hyper aware of what I'm thinking and saying, watching for these phrases and when I catch myself thinking or saying them, to immediately replace and reframe the sentence as such:

If I think or say:
I NEED/TO, I WANTTO, I HAVE TO*, I SHOULD/OUGHT TO/GOT TO

I am replacing it with:
I AM
I AM IN THE PROCESS OF (which indicates it is already happening)
I HAVE
I "DO" where "DO" is an action verb (eg I CLEAN the house, I DRIVE a Dodge Ram 3500)

If I think or say:
I WISH/I WISH I COULD/I HOPE

I am replacing it with:
I AM
I HAVE
I CAN
I KNOW
I HAVE DECIDED THAT
I AM CERTAIN THAT

Here are the sentences reframed:
I'm so tired, I need to lie down and rest = I am well-rested, I feel great
I need a job = I am in the process of finding a job
I need more money = I have plenty of money/I am in the process of receiving more money
I need a nap = I am full of energy
I need to lose weight = I am in the process of losing weight
I need to go to the gym = I am going to the gym
I have to clean the house = I am cleaning the house/I have decided that I am cleaning the house/I am in the process of... and so on
I should go to the store = I am going to the store
I hope I find a job soon = I am certain that I'll find a job/I know I'll find a job

This isn't about repeating positive affirmations, aligning yourself with grand visions of your future, or making enormous changes in your life that seem impossible now. This is about changing the habitual messages you send yourself every moment of every day. It's very small, but far more significant than you might think. By changing these small things, greater changes can take place.

I'm up for it. Are you? If so, try it for a day or two and post a comment about the experience.



Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, January 31, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Which American Idol are you quiz now. I just don't want to know.

I'm so tired! I need to rest. Translation: I can knit and read and watch TV in bed. Do not disturb me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home